Defining the People
The security and BSC industry uses software that's almost 20 years old. Furthermore, the people in that industry are highly stratified, overworked, and distressed.
Our client wanted to fix that.
We kicked things off with a persona research project to define the users, companies, and understand their situation.
We wanted our personas to be as lifelike and present as possible. So we put them into a 2x3 poster format, to be hung on the wall in their offices.
The personas were created by interviewing workers all across the nation.
We then held a workshop to build out the personas together with the team, which included everyone from engineers to executives.
Defining the Story
Working remotely with the client through spreadsheets, user flows and whiteboards, we created a realistic set of scenarios that pieced together into a larger story.
Sharing a Vision
From our research, we learned that scheduling and communication were top pain points for our key personas.
So our goal became to illustrate a world in which these two problems would be solved.
Our vision would be shown at an upcoming conference, to inspire customers and collect further feedback.
(We were under a very tight timeline, so we strategically favored fanciness and flashiness over usability in our visiontype.)
Wireframes for the desktop and mobile visiontype.
While at the conference, we sat down with CEOs and used the visiontype to understand how to help their companies.
With this feedback, our PMs now had confidence on how to move forward.
Designing the Actual Product
We then set out to design the initial product, which is in early release.
Giving it Soul
With users that that had such rough lives, we wanted to create some next-level excitement for the users we served.
We introduced Rosie, the AI assistant that would drive product direction and provide a source of camaraderie. Users loved Rosie.
And we introduced a fiddle-factor to the homescreen, by giving the buttons a playful, stretchy effect when dragged.
And as Easter egg fans, we included designs for a pong mini-game.
Our team and client couldn't have been more proud of the results.
With our personas and team principles, we helped establish a clear sense of purpose and direction for the product team.
And when we showed the product to users for feedback, I've never heard as much hooting and hollering as I did during those interviews.
It was an experience we'll all treasure forever.